Tuesday 31 May 2016

The division between private and public must go: Dr Subhash Gupta

The division between private and public must go: Dr Subhash Gupta

Dr KK Aggarwal, Editor in Chief eMedinewS and IMA News in conversation with Dr Subhash Gupta, Founder and Chief of Centre for Liver and Biliary Sciences (CLBS) at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals in New Delhi

Dr KK: How important is the role of your family in your journey?

My family has been very supportive all through my life. In 1998, when I was a Consultant in St. James’s University Hospital, Leeds, I chose to return to India and join Sir Ganga Ram Hospital to start liver transplantation in India. At that time it did not seem like a good idea and for years had to struggle to get recognized as a talented surgeon in India. All through this period, my family stood by me and supported me on all my decisions.

Dr KK: What are your feelings on receiving the award?

Receiving this award is a great honor and I feel that I must do more to improve medical education in our country so that we end up having universal health coverage for every Indian citizen.

Dr KK: What is your message to the community?

My message to the community is that each one of us should direct efforts to improve the island that one is working in and the efforts of everyone will multiply to bring about a major change in our society.

Dr KK: What changes do you suggest with regard to health policies?

I feel major changes in health policies are needed. The division between private and public must go. Fresh graduates are not willing to work at low salaries in the government sector and patients are not willing to see new doctors in the private sector.

Nowhere in the world does this dichotomy exist. It is time that this should be changed. Those who work in the government sector must be allowed private practice. A time will come when it will be difficult to get teachers in medical colleges.

No comments:

Post a Comment